Recipe for Orange Biscotti
We made these in the kitchen this year for Christmas cookies. Just about cleared the entire batch before we had a chance to wrap them up and make Christmas gifts for co-workers out of them! They’re excellent for dipping in your morning cup of coffee, or for an after-dinner dessert that’s light and fresh.
Try them dipped in chocolate or make chocolate flavored too. Excellent with pistachios or walnuts, as well. See the recipe below and make sure your kitchen is at an even temperature for best baking. Try making them in the early morning for a consistent, even baking experience.
Ingredients for Orange Biscotti
* 3/4 cup almonds
* 1/2 cup butter
* 2 eggs
* 1 large orange
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions for Making Orange Biscotti
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Toast the almonds until golden brown.
2. Let almonds cool, then chop into 1/4 inch pieces.
3. Set oven temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
4. Cream the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs until smooth. Zest the orange, add to mixture and stir well. Add the orange-flavored liqueur and cinnamon. Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat until just mixed. Stir in the chopped almonds. Divide the dough in half on a lightly floured board and form into long rolls, about 2 inches in diameter and 10 inches long.
5. Set the rolls on a cookie sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, or until they are brown on top.
6. Let the rolls cool for 5 minutes, then slice diagonally 1/2 inch thick.
7. Lay slices back flat on cookie sheet and cook for another 10 minutes. Flip biscotti over and cook for another 10 minutes. Let cool on wire racks. If you keep these in an airtight container, they will keep for months.